We all know that vitamin C is great for your immune system and overall health. It’s touted as the supplement that wards off illness and the scent that can awaken your senses. But did you know that vitamin C has outstanding benefits for your skin too? The antioxidant properties make vitamin C for skin health crucial. When added to your daily routine, a vitamin C serum can help provide a wide range of benefits that keep your skin looking youthful and fresh. Just take it from our very own Kate Somerville Skin Health Expert and celebrity esthetician, Kelly Viavattine, who proclaims, “I love vitamin C!” Kelly has built a career on taking care of some of Hollywood’s most famous skin, and shared with us why this is a powerhouse ingredient that is essential for your daily routine.
Vitamin C Benefits For The Skin
1) Protects Against Free Radicals - If you haven’t heard yet, air pollutants are causing our skin cells damage. Fortunately, the benefits of vitamin C in skin care help to protect against the damage caused by free radicals while neutralizing them to slow down the visible signs of aging . Free radicals are basically unpaired electrons that are chemically unstable and try to find other electrons to help them stabilize. Unfortunately for you, these pesky nanoparticles usually resort to stealing electrons from other cells - like the ones in your skin.
2) Brightens Complexion - High-potency vitamin C also helps visibly brighten your skin by diminishing the appearance of dark spots and discoloration. With its powerful antioxidant properties, vitamin C works to even out skin tone and brighten your overall complexion, leaving you with a vibrant glow .
3) Reduces Signs of Aging - Finally, the benefits of vitamin C help to reduce the signs of aging by dramatically improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots . Moisturizing with vitamin C aids in replenishing the skin’s natural lipids and restoring the skin’s natural barrier function, which yields softer skin texture and increased moisture retention.
4) Improves Texture and Damaged Skin - Studies have shown that a topical Vitamin C serum is an effective ingredient for improving skin texture, reducing the appearance of damaged skin, and aiding in wound healing .
5) Protect Against Long-term Sun Damage - Vitamin C is also known for its ability to protect the skin against long-term sun exposure. This is because vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from UV light .
6) Controls Oil and Acne Breakouts - For those with acne-prone or oily skin, vitamin C can be an effective skincare product to promote healthy skin by controlling oil and reducing breakouts. A study showed that a topical application of vitamin C helped reduce inflammation in acne-prone skin .
7) Aids in Collagen Production - Another powerful vitamin C benefit is the aid in collagen production, which is essential for maintaining proper skin health. Collagen is a protein that helps give skin its structure and elasticity. As we age, our collagen production decreases, which can lead to sagging skin .
What To Look For In a Vitamin C Product
Ready to add this miracle ingredient to your daily skincare routine? Fantastic! However, like most things, not all topical vitamin C products are created equal, which is why it is critical that you know which elements to look for when selecting a new product. First, make sure you seek out stabilized preparations of vitamin C, as unstabilized solutions can cause irritation and end up being harmful to your skin. Similarly, you should always buy products that are packaged in such a way that protects the product from sunlight, which prevents premature oxidation of the vitamin. Check out our +Retinol Viatmin C Moisturizer or our concentrate vitamin C serum to see which product type works for you.
For serums specifically, which are the most effective way to apply vitamin C to your skin, it is crucial to find one with a higher concentration of active ingredients and smaller molecules, which helps penetrate the skin deeper. You may also want to look for a serum that contains L-Ascorbic acid, as it is the purest form of vitamin C and provides superior antioxidant defense compared to any of its acid derivatives.
Incorporating Vitamin C Into Your Routine
Deciding to add a new component to your skincare routine can be daunting, but with a basic understanding of how you should layer products, you can quickly develop a customized regimen that gives you the results you desire .
Cleanser - Start with a daily foaming wash to remove excess dirt, makeup, and other surface pollutants from your skin.
Exfoliate - Add this step only twice a week to help remove dead skin cells that could be clogging up your pores and dulling the appearance of your skin tone. The key to using exfoliating products is not to scrub too hard, as doing so could create microabrasions on the skin, which could become infected and result in acne breakouts.
Toner - These products are designed to remove any residue left by your cleanser in addition to wiping away salts, chlorines, and chemicals that can be found in tap water that may dehydrate the skin.
Serums - Most vitamin C products are available as serums, which can offer concentrated doses of their active ingredient to your skin, increasing the overall performance of the product.
Moisturizer - Finish things off with an evenly applied moisturizer to your face and neck to help keep the skin supple.
If you are looking for a high dose of vitamin C to get you started, check out our Mega C Brightening Facial. This powerful product has the most potent, yet stable level of Vitamin C ever formulated by Kate Somerville for a safe, at home, clinic experience. We formulated this product to help boost brightness, smooth uneven skin, and improve your skin firmness and tone. As you can see, adding vitamin C products are a simple way to improve the overall condition and appearance of your skin. At Kate Somerville, we offer a variety of products with this powerful ingredient so everyone can have beautiful and glowing skin no matter their age or skin type.